Monday, November 5, 2012

Lexapro: An Isomer of Celexa

Lexapro is the product of a relatively new approach that involves the removal of one of two enantiomers from Celexa to create a single-enantiomer drug. Celexa is a racemic mixture of two mirror-image halves called the S- and R-enantiomers. With Lexapro, the R-enantiomer (that does not contribute to Celexa's antidepressant activity) has been removed, leaving only the therapeutically active S-enantiomer.

Forest Laboratories licensed Lexapro from the Danish pharmaceutical firm H. Lundbeck A/S, which developed both citalopram and escitalopram in Europe. Escitalopram is currently approved for marketing in several European countries, including Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark, Belgium, Great Britain, France, Ireland, and Austria, under the name Cipralex.

So far Celexa has been great. I was very hesitant to start a medicine for depression/anxiety. But after being extremely low, hostile and moody for months it was time to go to the doctor. I was angry and depressed all the time. I just wish I went for help sooner. Also, I used to get panic pains in my chest and throat probably 100 times a day. Sudden scared and nervous little panics over anything! It has helped that a lot too. No side effects for me except good ones! The only reason I cannot give this a 10 is that I have only been on it for a month. Hopefully these results last!

 I've been taking Celexa 20mg for almost six months, and it has helped me with my social anxiety. It's a lot easier to use the strategies that my psychologist talks about. However, a warning must be given. Celexa has not been a 'magic bullet'. I still have to do a lot of work to not be anxious. However, it has helped me so much that I can't think about quitting any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment